I have this friend, we’ll call her Cindy (since that’s her
name). Cindy and I have been friends since we were both 11 living in Florida.
Since that time we’ve kept in contact with each other and even roomed together
as Freshmen in college. And that is what brought us together again this time.
October 26th was Cindy’s 26th birthday also known as her
Golden Birthday. (*Side note: A Golden Birthday is the birthday when you turn
the age of the date your birthday is on. So my Golden Birthday was when I was 9
since my birthday is November 9. See how that works?)
Back to the story of why I was in Michigan this weekend. As
previously mentioned, Cindy and I have kept in touch through the years and she
is usually the one who contacts me. She has a gift for keeping up with friends.
We see each other probably twice every year somehow. Well she is also fabulous
at planning gatherings of old friends. We were very fortunate to have an
excellent apartment of fun, funny and awesome girls our Freshman year and we
have stayed in touch with them as well. So for Cindy’s birthday she really
wanted us to get together making this visit her birthday present from us.
Sounds simple enough right? Correct! After a month of email chatting we all got
plane tickets and flew out for the fun!
Here are the roomies in room order starting with the room
closest to the front door of our apartment/dorm: Kim Coltrin Bomsta and
Katherine Barton Roberts. Kim lives in Provo, UT with husband Zack and daughter
Faye. Faye also made the journey out to Michigan. Katherine lives in Pleasant
Grove, UT with husband TJ and is expecting their first child in the new year.
Behind door number 2 we had: Alissa Soderborg and Katie Hawkins. Alyssa
currently resides in Colorado searching for her dream job in food science.
Katie is in Provo, UT finishing her Masters in ….
I-can-never-remember-the-name-of-it-I-think Landscape Management?? She works
with plants and trees and such. She also is very skilled at climbing trees and
is preparing for a tree climbing competition in South Carolina. (Yes, this is a
real thing and no it’s not climbing trees for the sake of climbing trees. It is
an actual skill. Look it up!) Last but not least the last room in the apartment
was inhabited by: the guest of honor, Cindy Keller-Bennett herself and Kiersten
Hammond Jackson. Kiersten takes up residence in Manassas, VA just outside of
Washington, DC with her husband Scott (but you knew that already). Cindy works
at a revolutionary school called Waldorf Schools as a teacher of the younger
children and, you guessed it, lives in Dearborn, Michigan with husband Michael.
Now you know why I was in Michigan!
We all arrived by Friday night and most of us didn’t go to
bed until 2am Saturday morning. Saturday was the big birthday party. We woke
up, at Einstein’s Brothers Bagels, lounged around then got all pretty for
pictures. Nothing celebrates a Golden Birthday with your girlfriends better
than taking cute pictures on a beautiful fall day in Michigan. It was almost
perfect except for the wind. I could have done without that but we survived.
After our photo shoot, Starbucks hot chocolate was definitely in order.
The rest of the day was spent in each other’s company,
watching silly chick flicks (Baby Mama and Run Away Bride) and Modern Family,
while eating Middle Eastern food and pie. All in all, a pretty great day with
friends.
| This is how Katie and I celebrate sleep overs! In footie pajamas. |
| This is Faye, Kim's daughter, also sporting footie pajamas and pulling it off much better than the adults. |
Sunday started the mad dash to the airport for everyone.
Since we all planned our trips separately, all our flights were at different
times. Kim, Faye and Katherine left first at about 4:30 am. Next was Alyssa
around 8 am. Katie and I had flights in the afternoon so we went to Sacrament
Meeting with Cindy and Mike. Katie then left at 3 and I left at 5. It was a
quick trip but some of the most fun I’ve had in a while. We’ve decided to do
this again. I vote Cindy’s house again because Michigan is beautiful and she
actually has a house!
No comments:
Post a Comment