Welcome back to another rousing tale of our Summer 2014 trip to Europe. This episode features waiting in foreign airports, driving stick shift, ice cream and Hungarian!
We last left you in the airport in Porto. We had a connecting flight to Spain and got in around 10:30 pm. It was so late there were no more flights leaving that night. We had to leave the terminal, get our bags and come back in and wait at the front desk area which was closed for the night until we could check in for our flight at 5 am! So we spend the night on the hard floor of that Madrid Airport. Scott didn't sleep much and neither did I but not for a lack of trying. Fast forward to Hungary. We landed in Budapest around 10 am but we got in earlier than anticipated and our rental car wasn't ready. I wasn't too phased at first because I was back in Hungary! and there was a grocery store in the airport and I was hungry. They first thing I bought was Trappista cheese. If you've never heard me talk about this particular Hungarian cheese, just know this. I love cheese and this kind is the most amazing tasting cheese in the world! I can't find it anywhere outside of Hungary and I've looked in some pretty obscure places and even talked to Hungarians who live in America. No one can find this outside of Hungary! Next was a Milka bar which is technically German chocolate but well loved in Hungary. Also purchased was bread for about 5 cents (I forgot how cheap the food is there) and delicious Jogabella (pronounced yoga-bella) yogurt. Checkout proved my first challenge on my Hungarian. I passed but it was dismal. Scott liked the food and I was immensely happy.
We passed the time in the airport playing Five Crowns and eventually by noon, our car was ready and we were on our way to Győr, almost. I was the driver of this trip since I'm the most comfortable driving a manual transmission vehicle. The only problem now was, how do I put the thing in reverse? After a few tense moments, Scott figured it out and we were off! Through the streets of Budapest, over the bridges and onto the M5 west to Győr. It was glorious! Scott took a short nap and we arrived in about 2 hours. Our hotel in Győr was the same one my parents and I stayed in four years earlier when they picked me up as a missionary. It's a converted monastery complete with an inner courtyard.
After we checked in, we took a quick nap since we hadn't slept in Madrid and went out to get dinner. For my first Hungarian meal I went with my favorite, paprikás csirke (pap-ree-cash cheer-ka). Holy cow! Just as good as I remembered! I was in heaven. We also had an appetizer of rántott sajt
(giant breaded slice of cheese) and dessert, a mini strawberry cake.
![]() |
| Paprikás csirke |
![]() |
| So happy! |
The rest of the evening was spent catching up with her and eating more ice cream. I was glad to run into her because the next day was Sunday and I wanted to attend church there since Győr was my last area and kind of my baby. I spent 6 months here after there hadn't been sisters in over 18 months. I saw a lot of great things there and witness four of my investigators enter the waters of baptism, the most I'd had in any of my three areas. Győr will always hold a special place in my heart.
Sunday, day two in Hungary. We got up and drove to church. The branch house looked the same and a lot of the members were the same. Unfortunately, a lot of the people and youth especially I'd worked with weren't in attendance but I had expected that. The people I did see and who remembered me were a blessing to see again. I understood most of sacrament meeting thanks to the Elders being speakers. We Americans who attempt to learn Hungarian all speak with similar accents and vocabularies. I tried to translate to Scott for a portion of the meetings but once the high counselor got up it was all over! My favorite part though was singing the hymns in Hungarian! And! best news of all, they have real hymnals!! Gone are the printed, spiral bound copies of long ago. They have actual hymnals! It almost made me cry.
![]() |
| The branch house in Győr |
| Standing with Árpád, in front of the very place he was baptized. |
![]() |
| The Wunderli family and Barbs (in the blue dress). I love them! |
| After our audio tour. Beautiful view! |
| Having a Coke in the Hajo. Under the Coke logo it says, "Ez az enyem, ez a nap" which I translate to say, "This is mine, this day". |
Join us next time as we drive across Hungary and visit castles, stay with Hungarian members and eat more delicious and not so healthy food!





No comments:
Post a Comment