Today wasn't as uneventful as we thought it would be. Yes we drove through Idaho and part of Montana but it was pretty. Leaving eastern Washington we were still in the backwoods, so to speak and there were many little churches. Not just little community churches, I'm talking tiny, little shacks that looked abandoned but it said "Church" on the side. These "Churches" were so small that our compact car was bigger. We joked about how they held services, one at a time? Or maybe it was just for confessions. We didn't stop because if you blinked, you'd miss it.
We continued our drive east and saw snow! Lots of snow! We were in the mountains thus the snow and we also drove by a ski resort. It was still open! Pretty cool to go skiing at the end of April.
As we made our way out of the mountains we drove through this little town called Leavenworth. It had a German/Bavarian themed feel to it from the building architecture to the street signs. It was really cute and I wish we could have stopped to get out and look around or eat lunch or something but it was about 10 am so we weren't hungry. Too bad. If you get the chance to drive through eastern Washington, try to find Leavenworth. It looked like it would be worth a stop.
After we passed Leavenworth, there was nothing but fields of... Timothy! They were growing little boys! No, just kidding. There were signs in front of the fields saying what was growing there and some of the signs said Timothy. Others also said Sweet Corn, Potatoes, Grass Hay, Peppermint, Spearmint and Dairy Heifers (they are also growing cows!).
We eventually made it into Idaho, the northern tip. It's very pretty. Green, trees and running rivers. We stopped at a rest stop and painted on the road in the parking lot was a sign saying, "Don't be a 'Guberif'". Huh? Thank goodness for the internet. It said it was a campaign to stop forest fires and 'Guberif' is 'Firebug' backwards. Idaho is weird (Scott agreed! He served his LDS Mission there.)
When we drove into Montana, we stopped for lunch/dinner (we didn't eat the rest of the day) at a Travel Center that sold everything Huckleberry. Scott was in heaven! He gained a love for huckleberry things on his mission to Idaho. He even had a huckleberry shake and a burger with a huckleberry BBQ sauce. I had some and didn't think it was anything that special. He then bought some huckleberry preserves. Like I said, in heaven. As we got back in to the car we decided to clean out the trash and I found Evie's giant rainbow lollipop from Friday! Oops! When I put her to bed Friday night, she asked about her lollipop and I thought Scott (her dad) had taken it out of the car and I said she'd get it back tomorrow (Saturday). I didn't know! I lied to her! I miss her already. Oh well. It was funny.
Kept driving and arrived in Butte around 7-ish. We weren't tired or hungry so decided to press forward. After making the necessary "butt" jokes about the little town we started out but then we were distracted by a HUGE lit statue on the mountains. We drove closer all the while guessing what it could be. Again, thanks to the internet we found the truth. It was a giant 90 ft statue of the Virgin Mary. It's called "Our Lady of the Rockies". It was erected by a local Butte man who's wife had cancer and he prayed to the Virgin Mary and siad if his wife was spared, he'd build a 5 ft statue of her in the front yard. Well long story short, his wife survived cancer and instead of a 5 ft statue, the town helped turn it into a 90 ft statue on the mountain. It now stands to represent all women everywhere, especially mothers. (Information curtesy of Wikipedia)
Now after a long day of driving we are in Bozeman, Montana at a Super 8 motel.
Holy snap! I remember you guys telling us the story about the giant statue and I just looked it up. She is HUGE!
ReplyDelete