Friday, June 7, 2013

6 months in 5 minutes or less

Hello again all you views of our blog! *cricket sounds* I know there aren't many (or any) of you and that's fine. I'm not the type of person who wants to tell the entire world about my life nor do I think other people should. Oversharing, not attractive.

You may have noticed some new posts in the blog today... Did you know you can change the date on postings? Cool huh? I wrote about our road trip from LAST summer a few months ago and never posted because I was planning on adding pictures but that never happened and I'm sitting here at work with nothing to do so I just added the posts without the pictures.

Well if you've made it this far in the reading of this post then I suppose you are interested in our lives so I'll continue by telling you what we've been doing to occupy our time for the last little while.

January 2013: HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Scott began his last semester of his undergraduate degree. Yay! And what a work load. I think he took 2 academic classes and about 2-3 other fun classes one of which was a skiing class which I also got to participate in. We bought ski passes to Sundance the local ski resort in Provo and every Thursday we skiied (I snowboarded) for several hours then came home. Lots o fun was had by all. We also went cross country skiing for the first time with the Geography Department Student Association. That was a fun experience. Another first was that I got my very first cast! This was NOT from cross country skiing. It was cool at first then annoying as I'm sure all casts are.

February: I had been working up to this point at a health assessment company called Orriant. We traveled to different corporate locations and performed health assessments on the employees. Assessments such as blood testing for cholesterol and glucose also blood pressure and body composition. It was a good job, I got to travel a lot but it kind of ended in February. So I looked around different places but wasn't really expecting anything since I knew we'd be moving in May. Remember how I said we went to Sundance every week? Well I know a few guys who work there (one of them in the HR department) and I asked if there were any openings. To make a long story short (too late) I got a seasonal job at Sundance working in the parking crew. I was one of two female parking attendants. All I did was stand in the cold and directed people to the best place to park depending on what they were doing at the resort (skiing, spa, restuarants, etc.) and I drove a shuttle bus around taking people back to their cars. It was pretty fun actually.

March: This was a sad month. Scott's Grandma Dean passed away on March 15. She was 94. Very awesome lady. Her passing was expected but its still hard to say good-bye even when the time is right. Scott's family came out to Utah for the funeral (all excpet for Daniel and Ashley in Thailand and Jenna who is serving her mission in Lisbon, Portugual). Scott's skiing class ended this month and my job at Sundance ended at the end of the month (snow was scarce and I only worked during Night Skiing hours). But the best news of the month was Scott got a job! A real one! in DC!

April: Scott GRADUATED!! He accomplished his goal of graduated Cum Laude which was very exciting. After graduation we packed up our apartment and got ready for our big move cross country for the last time.

May: ROAD TRIP!! This time we took the southern route through Zion's National Park, The Grand Canyon, and TX then slowly made our way back up through Oklahoma City, Hot Springs, AR, Mammoth Cave in Kentucky, Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee and lastly Shenandoah National Park Skyline Drive in VA just in time to surprise my Mom on Mother's Day. We celebrated our 2 year anniversary two days later and we also moved in that day.

My oldest brother graduated from George Mason with his Masters in Computer Forensics on May 16 with his 5 month old baby in tow. My sister-in-law had made her a graduation cap and gown and he carried her on stage and so many people were "oohing and ahhing" over her and taking her picture. She did look very cute. It was just funny because coming from BYU that sort of thing happens all the time but I guess it doesn't here. Also sitting behind us was a family celebrating their father's graduation with a Ph.D. It was also that man's birthday and he was turning 76. So we had the youngest graduate and behind us was the oldest graduate. It was very cool.

The following week we traveled to NYC to see Scott's brother Darren graduate from Columbia Law School. It was held outside in one of the biggest rain storms NY has seen in a long time. People were taking pictures of the rain! (We were safe and dry under a gigantic tent.) After his graduation we drove to Rockport Massachusetts for a Jackson family vacation. We stayed in this gorgeous beach house right off the coast. We spent a day in Boston where we went to Harvard and I got to visit my good friend Heather Daybell. Then we traveled up the coast to Maine which was great since none of us had ever been before. It was a great trip and we were sorry to leave.

June: Finally, up to the present! Brenton went through the DC Temple on June 1 and it was wonderful. It was also Sandra's birthday so we celebrated with them as well. Lastly, Scott and I finally started working!... He's enjoying it so far which is great. I'm doing the same thing as last summer but this time looking for full time employment.

So that's been us for the last 6 months. If you made it this far, congratulations! Hopefully I can do a better job than posting once a year or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment