Saturday, August 17, 2013

Wolf Blitzer has pasty white legs

Last night Scott told me about his co-workers who are planning a 50K walk along the C&O Canal in October. This morning was a 6 mile training session and he’d been invited to join so we ventured out to Maryland to take part in the fun. You know us, always on the go! We met 4 people from his office for the 6 plus mile walk around 8:30 this morning and started out. It was a cool, crisp morning with plenty of shade. The C&O Canal is beautiful, with the Canal on one side and the Potomac River on the other. We went about as far as the Great Falls Park then turned back for the return trip. It was a great start to the weekend.

After hiking 6 miles you can guess we were hungry so we drove to nearby Potomac, MD for some food. We found a great French pastry shop with delicious sandwiches, scones and croissants. Since the weather was still so great (a rare thing for DC in August) we ate outside. Sitting there, enjoying our food, taking in the view, I noticed an older man talking on his cell phone walking along the sidewalk in front of the shops. I looked at him and thought to myself, “Huh, that guy looks a lot like Wolf Blitzer. He’s a really good look-a-like if it’s not him.” I could barely hear his voice and with a jolt I thought, “That is Wolf Blitzer!” Scott wasn’t here for this discovery so I finished eating, cleaned up our table and keeping my eye on him, I waited for Scott to come out of the Rite Aid. When he did I said, “I’m pretty sure I just saw Wolf Blitzer but you need to confirm!” We spotted him walking around the parking lot, near our car so we walked to our car and once we got close enough Scott said, “Yup! That’s Wolf Blitzer!” So we saw a celebrity today! Completely unexpected but really cool.

Yup, this was the guy we saw!

After our encounter with Wolfy (reference to Rose the dinner owner in Stephen King’s novel Under the Dome), we took a turn down a road that looked like a major road and for a while it was busy. Then I heard Scott say something I never thought he would say because he’s a geography major and great with directions. He said, “I really don’t know where we are.” We were still in a populated area so I wasn’t worried and we had phones and GPS so we couldn’t really get lost. After turning down a dirt road we ended up at an outlet to the Potomac. We got out to stretch our legs, Scott figured out where we were and I had a butterfly land on my hand.


We looked at the map when we got back in the car and decided to go up Darnestown Road to get to 15 and into Leesburg and then to Ashburn to see Scott’s family for a bit. I’d taken that road once last summer and I remembered seeing an ice cream place that looked fun, like the Red Barn in Santaquin, UT. Well funny enough it was also a red barn called the Rocky Point Creamery. (Every time we said ‘Rocky Point Creamery’ we started singing, ‘Rocky Top! Hey, Rocky Top!’ It’s a BYU marching band joke.) And the homemade ice cream was delicious! I had Cherry Vanilla and Scott had Sweet Cream. It was an actual dairy farm, family owned and operated since 1885. A little pricey but I hope we can go again and since it’s open year round we can anytime we want and not worry about the summer ending to go. Yay for year round ice cream parlors!




After this little adventure not much else happened. We went to Scott’s house but didn’t stay long, only Brenton was home and he was getting ready to leave for work anyway. We got the oil changed and then came home. We helped Sandra with her lawn and ate pizza and that was our day. For only planning to hike 6 miles we had quite the adventurous day. I’m beat!

1 comment:

  1. LOL "pasty white legs" ewww!! >< That's so cool you got to see him! Was he one of the main men that covered the Presidential election last year? That probably sounds like a really dumb question, and if it is you don't have to answer. Also, I love love love the adventures you guys go on! If and when I visit the DC area, you must take me on some!

    ReplyDelete