Last night I made something that was too good not to
share. I’d found this recipe on Pinterest (where else) about a year ago and I’d
just now decided to make it. I’m sure glad I did! This is the original,
unmodified version that I mostly followed.
1 box fettuccine
1 cup mild salsa
1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
½ cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons soy sauce
5 chicken tenders, cut into bite size pieces
5 cloves of garlic
1 red bell pepper, cut into short sticks
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook fettuccine according to package directions
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix salsa, sweet chili sauce, peanut butter, orange juice, honey and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Cook in microwave for about 1 minute and let stand.
- Marinate chicken in 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
- In a pan on med-hi heat cook chicken with remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce marinade. Add the garlic and peppers after the chicken is fully cooked. Reduce heat, cover and let the peppers wilt. Approx. 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the drained and cooked pasta and mix well. Add the chicken and pepper mixture.
- Sprinkle with cilantro when ready to serve.
This was an absolutely delicious surprise. Scott and I
both really enjoyed it. We ate much more than we thought we would originally. It should serve about 4 people which was enough for leftovers!
If you are looking to make it a little healthier, since
that’s my area of life, here are some other options:
- Instead of regular peanut butter, you could probably use natural PB to reduce some fat and sugar.
- Look for reduced sugar orange juice or use the juice from a real orange.
- We used sweet chili sauce for two reasons. One, we had it. Two, we don’t like spicy foods. It worked perfectly! I have no idea what I’m missing so I have nothing to compare it to. (We bought ours at Trader Joe's but I saw it in the normal grocery store too.)
- Don’t like spicy (like me)? Use a milder salsa.
- Looking for a vegetarian option? Instead of chicken I think cauliflower and more peppers would work great. Or just more peppers, they were the best part. Marinate it all in the 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (or more if needed) and allow enough time to soften them in the pan (wilt).
- Use whole grain pasta for a more fibrous option.
This was a great recipe because it took almost no time
(approx. 30 minutes) and we had almost all the ingredients. In fact, these were
staple ingredients I usually have on hand every day. Next time we don’t know
what to make, this might just be our new go to.
No comments:
Post a Comment