On Tuesday, Scott and I planned on having a date night on Friday. We made plans all week and finalized them on the drive into work this morning. Scott would drive into DC and meet me at or near Metro Center Metro stop. We decided to see the movie Blackfish, a documentary about killer whales in captivity and more specifically about one killer whale at Sea World named Tilikum who has killed 3 people. Sounds terrifying, right? Well let me say, this film is not for the faint of heart but I'll get to that later.
We met up in DC around 5. We were in a great part of town where there are a lot of things going on. It was also a beautiful day which helped as well. We went to the Old Post Office and up to the tower to take in a view of the city. This journey up the tower is FREE by the way so if you are looking for something free to do in the District, this is one of them. Not nearly as high as the Washington Monument but still a great view.
Next we made our way to dinner at an English/Irish Pub called Elephant & Castle. Why would we go there you might ask? Because it's called Elephant & Castle! Elephant! I love elephants!
The best thing we ate was the poutine (pu-teen). It's french fries with cheese curds and brown gravy on top with some more melted cheese. Sounds weird but it was very tasty.
Around 7 o'clock, we were at the movie theater and in our seats for the film. It was really crowded by the time the documentary began. We both found it fascinating and recommend it to anyone who will ask us about it. If you are interested, go to this site for more information: http://blackfishmovie.com/
It was intense in a different way than action or suspense movies are intense. There were lots of home filmed footage of shows or attacks from the orcas. In an action movie, you know its fake. In this film, you had to remind yourself to breathe. It was amazing.
Overall, I felt as though we had a very educational and intellectual night out on the town. We can't wait to do it again!

That is so cool. I love that you guys venture out and really see places and do things. I didn't know you liked elephants! :) I haven't heard of "Black Fish" but I bet you the Schindlers would be down for it; you know how they love nature documentaries!
ReplyDelete